Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Wolf Niessen, Sculpture of Christine Usdin, circa 1982

In 2006, Christine Usdin wrote and sent scans of Wolfram sculpting a bust of her in the studio. In her email she wrote: 

"In 1981-1982 I had training courses in different art foundries in the United States and my first course was at Nothern Michigan University in Marquette. My master was Professor Wolf Niessen who taught me sculpture and art foundry. Within the university he had created an art foundry studio, which had very good and modern equipment. We used the lost wax process and the students' sculptures were cast in bronze such as Wolf's sculptures. Wolf said he built the furnace which was, as far I remember, quite a big one and worked very well. All the students I met were proud to have such a great teacher.

One day Wolf decided to make a bust of me, but I told him that I shall not pose. He said it doesn't matter and sculpted me while I was sculpting. It took about two days, and everybody was proud of the result. It looks like me! Later Wolf told me the bronze is in a museum in Washington D.C. But where? I would like to know if ever somebody knows.

Now since1987 I run my own art foundry in a medieval and very touristic village named Perouges, about 20 miles north of Lyon. I still remember all the advice he gave me concerning art. I studied a lot with him."










No comments:

Post a Comment