Thursday, May 24, 2012

Make-believe with tragic consequences

Oct 22, 1985

Dear Phillip,

The first part of this letter to you is already in the mail. However incomplete, I thought it best to share some of my inspiration from you, with you.

Sorry to hear about the death, and kind of death, of your father. Always, I feel, that there is so little we can help in life. And surely nothing in death.

If only people would agree to an improved sentence when we say 'in life'. 'In life' sounds as if there would be an alternative to life, or this life. Actually, factually, no alternative exists as far as I can see. (short of fooling ourselves, gloriously, with holy water) We live. When we are dead - nothing. Only the people alive are keeping some memory of the one who once lived. To say 'dead' also does injustice. As this were a state we ever are in. The person who is dead has no consciousness, therefore as a person he or she is not a person, i.e. "is not". So what are we fooling ourselves? We are alive or are not.

As we face that eminent fact, we begin to realize the supreme condition and fortune (one in several billion) -no greater lottery ever was invented- no higher price ever will be offered.

Your intention to visit Krishnamurti's lectures and Question-Answer is most beneficial. Nothing better than to be in the presence of a brain which functions just about flawless and a total human feeling in all his actions. Always of and within this world. This man is alive.

thereafter, come to the woodlot and share with me.

your joyous experience of talking and asking Krishnamurti... In reading this sentence once more, 24 hours later, since it is now 7:35 a.m. Oct. 23, Wednesday, the feeling and intellectual excitement of talking to, asking questions of Krishnamurti still has it's impact. How fortunate you are to plan and go and visit. To prepare in writing some deep or far-reaching questions. Questions of the most subtle and gentle and toward those regions of unconsciousness, whereto he is able to reach and we may only get or have a hint. His brain does perform tasks my brain is unable to do; like total wave synchronism.

He detests exercises; most likely because by means of exercises the synchronization can be achieved without ever having an ability to apply it toward a human relationship. Whereas, out of desire to relate to all creation in harmony, to help others as well as one's self = as an undividable unity = springs this brain wave coordination of great consequence. therefore, there must be a difference between his kind of brainwave synchronization and that of an exercised one. Krishnamurti will not, didn't answer the question for technique, or he does it in a short rebuff, rather uncomfortable for the questioner. 

Out of these and other events I gather that the question which begins to state one's willingness to let these insights (brain developments) take place. But remember, he does not believe in developments of any length, only in the spontaneous act does he believe. This is the way he knows can not be faked. But, for me, this is so much less than his, that there is no comparison. But But But - !!! be not deceived by the humbleness of our brain performance. this unified, cooperative, complex and brain-wide integrated function is taking place in our brain. It is a matter (for me) of degree. His of the known highest, mine of far less coordination, as brain function goes. [and many other events in the body]

What remains for many people a question, which for me is answered by each blade of grass and bird and cloud is the continuity of us when we are dead. Then, when life left the body [A most deceptive sentence!!! Notice - "left" - life never leaves the body. Life of this body actually is a rational construct of the brain!!!] please observe the body. You will see as readily as I, that I breathe. I can breathe in various ways. When running- gasping for air... when sitting- nearly imperceptibly... Furthermore, at times thinking of my breathing or (with all kinds of variations) totally unaware that I breathe. When that stops- for whatever reason, sooner or later the brain disintegrates, the cell's minor structure dissolves, the brainwaves do not occur anymore. The eyes do not respond to light, no dilation of the pupils. This was the end of a gigantic cooperative event of a particular kind: when the event discontinues, then the reference is simply= "discontinues".

But, no, these misguided TV watchers will call it everything else and try to keep this dysfunctional aggregate of protein and calcium in function. This malfunction is called religion. It is make-believe with tragic consequences, one of which is the abortive use of immense energies for naught.

Something that I am tickled to place in front of Krishnamurti is something like this [since I never heard him I will write it from my experience of reading his sayings]

Krishnamurti- (pause) your sayings touched me deeply. You are affecting my life deeply. My rational grasp is extremely limited for me to find all the connections and the recall of many particulars too fails me. The freshness of your sayings come to me often when now I experience a deep joy of the world, the trees, the people, the mountains, the air. Your sayings have, I do not know, removed something in me which I can only express by saying now I feel fresher, see the world in fresher colors, experience the people as being more alive, more akin and more receptive to an exchange of that, to that freshness. I want to say thank you, Krishnamurti, that you are here, that you speak.

To this I relate the term "life". In exactly this meaning is enclosed or presented my feeling of you, Phillip, my experience when I read your letters, when you visited me at Lee Hall so many times, when we exchanged what we went through, what we were feeling, thinking and doing, your photos of your work - your paintings convey all this to me.

my best thoughts are with you,
Love, Wolfram


No comments:

Post a Comment